• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slip and fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wichita505

:confused:

a couple of days ago my wife fell from a cement stairs on a business property...the stairs we small and steep and had no handrail. I dont think anything was on the stairs but anyway she broke her ankle in 3 parts and the doctor said that she may have chronic pains and possibly a limp the rest of her life.

I talked to one attorney here but said there really isn't a case being as i would have to prove that they were negligent. And that it didn't matter how the stairs looked (i'm assuming aside from cracks or holes.) as well as that there is no law requiring a buisness to provide handrails.

I'm looking for a second opinion. I somehow believe that they have to be at fault for something...my wife never fell before on anyones property.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Witchita must have a "building code". It would be inconceivable to me that buildings, and stairs used for ingress and egress, are built haphazardly. There must be some rules concerning stairs; e.g., a certain length or steepness of treads and risers must have handrails.

I would check with another attorney, and one who is familiar with building codes.

IAAL

HomeGuru

The building code requires handrailing and that the treads and risers are of required dimensions.
The attorney that you talked to is ignorant.
Talk to a PI attorney that specializes in slip and fall and premises liability litigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">