• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slipping on department store floor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peanoweno

What is the name of your state? Indiana. I went to a department store for a hamper and as I was walking I suddenly slipped and lost my balance holding on to my daughter. I caught myself but twisted my knee and calf area. I had immediate pain in my knee and calf. Frustrated I looked back and saw my skid mark where I had slipped. Their was some clear liquid on the floor. I proceded to the hampers and didnt find what I wanted so we decided to leave to another store. While exiting I was careful to go around where I had previously slipped. As I was looking to go around I suddenly slipped again affecting the same knee and calf area. I almost hit a wooden podium. I caught myself again but was experiencing more pain in the same area. I got really mad and looked around the floor and saw several areas with small puddles. But it was enough to make someone slip. I reported this to the management and filed a complaint. I went to the hospital to have my knee checked over and the doctor said that I had sprained my knee. Its been about 7 hours since and Im still having burning sensations in my knee. I am able to walk normal but Im having discomfort. Can I sue the store for having several areas of the floor wet with puddles? Can you sue for slipping twice at different times but not falling? They had no signs up at the time I slipped. They put one up after I filed a complaint.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

peanoweno said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana. I went to a department store for a hamper and as I was walking I suddenly slipped and lost my balance holding on to my daughter. I caught myself but twisted my knee and calf area. I had immediate pain in my knee and calf. Frustrated I looked back and saw my skid mark where I had slipped. Their was some clear liquid on the floor. I proceded to the hampers and didnt find what I wanted so we decided to leave to another store. While exiting I was careful to go around where I had previously slipped. As I was looking to go around I suddenly slipped again affecting the same knee and calf area. I almost hit a wooden podium. I caught myself again but was experiencing more pain in the same area. I got really mad and looked around the floor and saw several areas with small puddles. But it was enough to make someone slip. I reported this to the management and filed a complaint. I went to the hospital to have my knee checked over and the doctor said that I had sprained my knee. Its been about 7 hours since and Im still having burning sensations in my knee. I am able to walk normal but Im having discomfort. Can I sue the store for having several areas of the floor wet with puddles? Can you sue for slipping twice at different times but not falling? They had no signs up at the time I slipped. They put one up after I filed a complaint.

My response:

Sure; and, if you can get past the "Notice" requirement, and then prove the store's negligence, you might even win!

But, the reality is that "slip, trip and fall" type cases are the worst cases for client and attorney to prove. Sure, you can prove damages - - that's not the problem. It's those first two prerequisites that are the problems.

As a result, very few personal injury attorneys take slip, trip and fall cases unless they're "slam dunk" - - and you're isn't "slam dunk."

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">