• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gypsy5k

Hello, I live in Ohio. I was recently involved in an auto accident. I drive a leased 1999 Sonoma, I was struck by a 1993 Pontiac Sunbird. The owner of the car was a passenger, the driver was her boyfriend. The roads were icy and there were 18 other accidents that afternoon. They were at fault (noted on police report) but were not cited due to the 18 other accidents. Neither the owner of the vehicle nor the driver had insurance. I have a $500.00 deductable. I had to have the damages repaired because it is a leased vehicle. I did not have the money for the deductable and had to put it on my charge card. The other parties will not answer the calls or letters from my insurance company so I am taking them to small claims court. My question is, since the police did not put the SS# of either the owner or the driver on the police report or their place of employment, how can I obtain this information so that I can get their wages attached? I was told by a friend of mine who is a judge in a Municipal court that I need this info in order to pursue this. I don't have any idea how to obtain this info. Any information you can help with is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Debbie

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Gypsy5k said:
Hello, I live in Ohio. I was recently involved in an auto accident. I drive a leased 1999 Sonoma, I was struck by a 1993 Pontiac Sunbird. The owner of the car was a passenger, the driver was her boyfriend. The roads were icy and there were 18 other accidents that afternoon. They were at fault (noted on police report) but were not cited due to the 18 other accidents. Neither the owner of the vehicle nor the driver had insurance. I have a $500.00 deductable. I had to have the damages repaired because it is a leased vehicle. I did not have the money for the deductable and had to put it on my charge card. The other parties will not answer the calls or letters from my insurance company so I am taking them to small claims court. My question is, since the police did not put the SS# of either the owner or the driver on the police report or their place of employment, how can I obtain this information so that I can get their wages attached? I was told by a friend of mine who is a judge in a Municipal court that I need this info in order to pursue this. I don't have any idea how to obtain this info. Any information you can help with is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Debbie
My response:

Police don't put SS numbers on Accident Reports.

There's only one way to get this information. After you've been awarded a judgment, and after their 30 days have expired to pay the judgment on their own, then you have the Judgment Debtor summoned to the court by serving him a Notice of Debtor's Hearing. If he shows up, you'll get to ask all sorts of questions concerning his SS number, where he works, how much he makes, and where all his other assets are located. Make sure you ask him to empty his pockets in court also. If he's got money, jewelry, etc. in his pockets, it's yours. Go get a book on lawsuits and judgments at your local bookstore.

If he doesn't appear for the Debtor hearing, then, when you get to court, have the judge issue a Bench Warrant for his arrest.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

G

Gypsy5k

Thank you very much. I had not thought of getting a book on the subject. I really appreciate your response. Once again, thank you. Debbie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">