• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small paint scrape ,Big Mess.Please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xlragtop

My state is Virginia.
On april 18th (2006) I backed out of my garage to find my sons friend had parked sideways in front of both of my garage bays. Obviously, I backed into his rear bumper. The extent of the damage was some paint that was scraped off at the corner of the wheel well. I immediately showed him the damage and told him I would take care of the repair. He told me not to worry about it, but I insisted. He said he could take it to a friend that does paint work and it would probably be about a $100 if that. I told let me know. Fast forward to June 26, 2006. He tells me his friend couldn't do it but he went by and had a body shop give him an estimate. That estimate was for $785. At this point he was no longer a friend of my sons and I could tell that he was trying to take me to the bank. I offered his dad to let me take it and get it fixed at a friends body shop that has been in the business 30 years. This would save me the out of pocket money because I could trade out the favor. He told me to work out the logistics with his son of getting the car to the body shop. I immediately called his son who asked to do it the following week. I left him my cell phone number, home number and asked him to call me when it was convenient for him to meet me. He agreed. Fast forward: February 2007- I get a call from his father who said he would like to settle up on the car. I asked him to bring the car to the body shop to be repaired. He informed me that he no longer had the car that the car had been totaled. He wanted me to pay for the damage that the insurance company did not reimburse him for when the car was totaled. I told him that I thought we agreed that I would get it fixed. He said either settle or go to small claims court.
Today I received a subpeona to go to court and to pay the full amount for the full estimate plus court costs , plus 6% interest for the months since the accident. At this point, if I wante to, I can't turn it in to my insurance company, because he no longer owns the car.

Please advise. What is my liability?

stephenk

you are liable for the damage you caused. However, you are not responsible for the cost to repair the damage since the car has been totalled for a subsequent loss. you are only responsible for the loss of the value of the car due to the paint scratch. I doubt the other party will be able to provide proof that but for the scratch they would have received a certain amount more for the value of their car after the subsequent accident.

Do you know what damage the car received in the subsequent accident?

Plus, do turn it in to your insurance company. They will be able to provide you legal help and advice for the small claims hearing.

xlragtop

About a month after he gave me the estimate ,he had a young lady at school back into the rear of his car at school.She called her mother ,who said she would fix it.This guy instant messages my son about it ,and says he is going to make up a phony estimate and give it to her.This kind of confirmed what my son thought about the estimate he had given to us,so he saved the entire IM.Do you think the judge would look at the IM?
The final accident he had was in December.This time he was backing up with his door open and caught it on a tree .The door was pulled foward so far that it damaged the front pillar.This is when the insurance co. totaled out the car.This guy has never said anything about the amount the insurance co. discounted my portion of damage.My guess is that it was no where near the amount he is asking me for.Do you think the judge will ask for that?Do you think the one estimate we have is the gospel to the judge?Would he want more than one estimate?If this guy would have said this was the only estimate he would except 1 year ago ,I would have turned it over to my insurance co.I`m sure they would have had an adjuster look at it.,and ths would have been all done.But he took all those options away in the way he has handled it.Do you agree or disagree?

stephenk

Turn over the information you have on this guy to your insurance company. You may want to let the other lady know about his false estimate for her daughter's accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">