• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold car without getting Buyer's information...need HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ariesboy

What is the name of your state? California

Last October, I sold my 1990 Honda Civic for very cheap to some poor people that really needed the car. They gave me some sob story about their family..etc. Since I sold the car for so cheap, I just neglected to get any of their information for the title transfer thinking that they would register the car (since they seemed like such great people)....how wrong was I!

Two months later, I received parking ticket citations at my house stating that the car was parked illegally. These offenses happened 2 weeks after the car was sold and now I have to pay the fines!

To date, the buyers have yet to register the car under their name! I have tried everything I can think of track the vehicle.
My worst nightmare is that the car will be involved in some illegal activities, or worse, an accident that kills someone, and I will be liable!

Recently, I recieved a letter from the dmv stating that the car is past due on a smog check, and I need to either smog it or mark the car as Non-operable. If I make it non-operable, and the police somehow happen to pull the car over, will they fine me again? Will they question the driver and ask them wtf are they doing in MY CAR!

I have tried to explain my situation to my DMV office and to the police department, but no one can help me. it seems that I will be liable for whatever happens with this car!

Since it is still under my name, I am tempted to report the car stolen, and have the police get involved. But then again, I do not want to file a false report, as I would just dig myself deeper into this mess.

I have sleepless nights thinking of what can happen to me because of this stupid mistake in judjement. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I can get off from being liable for this car? I have also re-instated my insurance policy on the vehicle just incase anyting happens.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks... :(

Lynx 36

Always complete the paperwork before completing the deal. You obviously know that now. People get burned all the time on oral agreements. I would file unauthorized use of a vehicle w/ the police. This way if they see it they can get it off the road and return it to you. Do you not have any contact info. on the person you sold the car to? :confused:

ariesboy

Yes...this is probably the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life.
No, no contact info at all. I tried going through my cell phone records to find the callers number. I think I have tracked the number, and even paid an online organization to back trace the number to an adress. I checked out the adress, but the car was not there. I have even tried listing a "wanted ad" with reward, on Craigslist, for anybody that has information on the where abouts of the car.

You mentioned that I may file an "unauthorized use of vehicle" with the local PD? How does this work? Do I tell the police that the car still belongs to me?
Thank you very much for your help!

Lynx 36

Quote: "How does this work? Do I tell the police that the car still belongs to me?"

Yes, tell them the truth about what happened. Since the people you sold it to haven't followed up on the agreement and the title is still in your name you are still legally the owner of the car, and if you want it back you are entitled to have it back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">