• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold the car a year ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrbearpalomo

I live in California. I sold a car for $400 to a family but it had a dead battery at the time so I couldn't smog it so I sold it "as is" or in not running condition. I signed the title and gave it to the man and that was the last I saw them. I just got a notice in the mail from the DMV letting me know that an attorney was requesting to know who the registered owner of the vehicle was as of 9/16/03 (which was after I sold the car) and it was me. It was in a case with two names, "B" vs. "C". I called the attorney's office and the secretary told me the vehicle had been involved in a hit and run (subject vehicle fled the scene of the accident). that is pretty much all I know. Should I be worried about liability? I called DMV and they said the car is STILL in my name (10/7/04). There is no "release of liability" on file. I would fill out a release of liability now, but i don't know the name of the man I sold it to or where he lives or anything. Should I report the vehicle stolen since technically it is still "mine" and I don't know where it is? What should I do?
thanks, bear-

teflon_jones

I'm guessing since you don't have the guy's name, you didn't keep the bill of sale. Sounds like you're in a bit of trouble since you have no record of ever having sold the car! If you report it stolen, you could be charged with filing a false police report since the car was never in fact stolen. I'd contact a lawyer about this asap to find out your options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">