• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone else driving my car in an acident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjb0325

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
My car was involved in an accident the other driver cited and my car totaled. My question is the driver of my car took it without permission while I was away and was under suspension. He was arrested for driving under suspenion. Will it affect my claim against the other drivers insuance company if I do not press charges against the driver of my car for taking it? He was pet sitting for me while i was away. I only have liability coverage and the other driver has full coverage. Should I press charges agaiiianst the driver of my car to ensure i get reimbursed for the cars value? I have untill tomorrow morning to do this and contact the police opfficier who was at the scene. Thank you, Since. Melinda

mjb0325

so issue

Thank you for your quick response. So there won't be any problems getting my claim paid if he was under suspension and I don't press charges against him for taking the car without permission or stealing it realy. So I can go forward with the phone call to the police officier who is doing the paper work. Unfortunitly the other driver I found out a little while ago had road rage made a false statement and both said i was driving and went home because I had heart trouble as I do but I was not there and a deer ran out in front of the car but both lied and can forward and toild police the truth. The driver of my car lied I guess because he did not want to get in trouble for driving under susp. and the other because he would be in jail(Military) for 3rd road rage offense.This all just found out and I have contacted local police and everything is now straight. The other driver hit my car going very fast and the police only wrote 45 which was the speed limit. It rained and now I can not get the pictures of all the tire marks, maybe tomorrow. But the guuard rails are all down and the car totaled. After the other driver tried to pass on a corner and headed on head on into another car and had to come back into the lane, then accident. Well thank you for your time and helping me with this problem. I am disabled and got the car from an old lady with no miles on a 99 car in mint condition, serviced every 3000 miles for a very low price. Used daily for animal rescue project so its my lively hood now that i am disabled and have the time to give to a so needed cause and really only can be done from my car to help animal and people alike and myself keeping productive in life. So I hope this clears up very quickly and doesn't turn in something I can't handle. 1st accident ever. Thank you again. I just did not know where to go in such a short time. What a wonderful resource you give. Since. Melinda

teflon_jones

If the other driver took your car without permission (i.e. stole it as you indicated), you should definitely press charges. What happens if they take it again and they get in an accident that's their fault? You could be held liable!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">