• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Something maybe of interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

This is slightly off topic as it has to do with vehicle repair, but I learned something new yesterday that I thought might be of interest.

My daughter's car had a bad electrical problem. We took it to one place and they replaced the master fuse and the battery (which were both legitimately fried) but they were still uncertain of the main reason for the problem. They were pretty sure the alternator was bad, but felt as though something else was wrong. The recommended that we take it to the dealer.

The dealer determined that it was just the alternator. Quoted us nearly 800.00 for the alternator, labor and the tow. That was bad enough, but they also told us it wouldn't be ready for 5-10 days because they had to order the part...that it wasn't available anywhere in the city. The cost of the parts was 459.00.

Well, I contacted an auto parts store in the city (part of a national chain whose name I won't mention) and found that they had in stock, the parts needed for 134.99.

I called the dealer and pitched a fit. The end result was that they admitted that I was perfectly free to choose to supply them the parts myself. That they couldn't refuse to do the repair if I wouldn't use their parts. So I bought the parts, delivered them to them, and had the car back that day.

It never occurred to me that something like that could be done....maybe all the rest of you already know that..but I thought that I would pass it along anyway. It might save someone else having to wait days for their car to be repaired...let alone the monetary savings.

Lynx 36

The dealership used an OEM part. The price you were quoted on the alternator was f/ an aftermarket part. The dealer did nothing wrong or unethical here. I.E. If it is a FORD dealership, they are going to order FORD parts, not aftermarket, made by a different company. This is why you got a lower price on the part and found one, as aftermarket parts are much cheaper. Additionally the dealership doesn't make any more money weather your car is there 2 days or 2 weeks. They simply didn't have an OEM part in stock.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">