• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son in accident not on my policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sanpan

What is the name of your state? IL

My son is in college. He stays in a apartment on campus year round and is 21. He came home this weekend and drove my car. He ususally doesn't drive my car, as a matter of fact this was the forst time in about 6-7 months.

Well he was turning on a green arrow which turned yellow while he was going through the intersection and another car hit him spinning him completely around. The driver stated he was trying to get to the airport.

I need to know do I need to get a lawyer? Will my insurance company cover the accident?

also, he recieved a ticket for no proof of insurance (expired). I didn't have my current insurance card in the vehicle but do have insurance.

What should I do? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

lwpat

Did the other driver receive a ticket? Who was found at fault in the accident?

If the other driver receicved a ticket you need to follow up with the court in case you son needs to testify. If the ticket is dismissed then the other driver's insurance may try to weasel out of paying.

Take the ticket and proof of insurance down to the clerk of court. Usually they will just dismiss the ticket. Then notify you insurance company. Since your son does not regularly drive the vehicle there should be no problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">