• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

son involved in hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

froggigger101

What is the name of your state? Kansas
My son was involved in a hit and run, he was the runner. At the time he didn't know his insurance had lapsed just the day before because he was late on the payment. He's 20 yrs old and didn't understand that liability covers both cars, but I guess that doesn't matter because he didn't have insurance at the time of the accident. It was reinstated 5 days later so now he is covered again. What do you suggest he do? He has an appointment with police dept. to give his license and proof of insurance, office said he would receive a citation, that's it. But when the other driver turns the incident to their insurance and then to his they will know he wasn't covered, what do we do? Plead with the other driver to let us pay out of pocket or something else. Help....tired and worried mother with a 20 yr old son that thinks he knows it all. Thank you for your help.

VeronicaLodge

well if you (he) didnt have insurance to cover it you will have to pay out of pocket or get sued. if he didnt know his insurance lapsed, why did he run?

froggigger101

Because he was scared and didn't think his insurance would cover their car, just his. He didn't understand liability covers both cars, he just got nervous and left the scene. I know he's young and thinks he knows all but this could be big trouble any good advise? Thank you for your help I'm very scared for him and me, cuz I'll be the one paying for it.
Thank you again.

ecmst12

Liability doesn't cover both cars. Liability ONLY covers the car that you damaged, not the car that you own/were driving. Collision covers the car that you own(or a non-owned car that you were driving under some circumstances).

At any rate, your son is now personally liable for 100% of the cost to repair the other vehicle (or the value, if it's totalled), plus the cost associated with any injuries the other party suffered. Not to mention the cost of the tickets he's going to get. If the car is also in your name, you could also be held liable for these same costs (not including the tickets).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">