• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son Killed, seeking insurance $

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DadfromArk

What is the name of your state? Florida.

My 19 year old son was killed in an auto accident. He was a passenger. The driver was 18 and had borrowed the car from her boss. 3 different insurance companies are involved. A: my son's insurance in my name, one of two vehicles insured with "stacked" uninsured motorist, also bodily injury coverage. B: My insurance with two vehicles, "stacked" and bodily injury coverage. C:The driver's insurance with bodily injury but no uninsured motorist, and B: The same company as mine which insured the owner of the borrowed car with bodily injury coverage, unsure about the uninsured motorist part. Can I do this without a lawyer? What should I expect from the insurance companies? Will the government take some of this $?

DadfromArk

S

shell007

So sorry for the loss of your son. My sympathies to you and your family.

Who was determined to be "at fault"?

MandyD

shellandty said:
Who was determined to be "at fault"?
Not her son, he was a passenger.

I too am sorry for your loss and I'm sure that someone with practical experience will be able to answer your questions.

DGO1223

I'm very sorry for your loss.

NO WAY should you even begin to try to navigate this without legal representation! Way too many complications!!

As far as what you can expect from these insurance companies; for them to attempt to pay out the least possible amount of $$$$. They are in business to MAKE money not pay it out, unless they have to. They have their own lawyers to help them do just that. You need the same.

BelizeBreeze

No one who is responsible and with a knowledge of law will tell you to do this yourself or answer any other questions since there is no crystal ball that will tell us.

Your best bet is to not only let your insurance company handle their part in this, but to consult with a few Personal Injury attorneys who can give you an idea what is involved.

DadfromArk

Reply to question, "Who was at fault?"

The young lady driving the borrowed vehicle has stated that she had fallen asleep and awoke to see she was about to hit another vehicle from befind. The police report says she was doing 75 mph in at 70 zone. (On the Interstate.) I am not considering a law suite at this time. I am interested to know how to deal with the insurance companies. They have been calling me to tell me how much they will pay and have said that they will work together and all be paying me. They have also asked if I have a lawyer, have tried to answer some of my questions about a lawyer and I have been told that certain people representing individual insurance companies will be working on my claim as long as I don't have a lawyer. No one has discouraged me from getting a lawyer. Can I trust the insurance companies to give me the "face value" of the policies they represent? That is, the amounts listed for bodiliy injury plus the amounts listed for uninsured motorists (or as they have clarified "underinsured motorists?) I have been told that a lawyer will take 30 to 40% of the money. I probably seem very naive, but what could happen if I don't get a lawyer? Would they not give me all of the stated amounts, or is it that I could get more than the stated amounts? I just don't have any experience in these matters and I need sound advice from someone who can also tell me "why?"

DadfromArk

BelizeBreeze

DadfromArk said:
The young lady driving the borrowed vehicle has stated that she had fallen asleep and awoke to see she was about to hit another vehicle from befind. The police report says she was doing 75 mph in at 70 zone. (On the Interstate.) I am not considering a law suite at this time. I am interested to know how to deal with the insurance companies. They have been calling me to tell me how much they will pay and have said that they will work together and all be paying me. They have also asked if I have a lawyer, have tried to answer some of my questions about a lawyer and I have been told that certain people representing individual insurance companies will be working on my claim as long as I don't have a lawyer. No one has discouraged me from getting a lawyer. Can I trust the insurance companies to give me the "face value" of the policies they represent? That is, the amounts listed for bodiliy injury plus the amounts listed for uninsured motorists (or as they have clarified "underinsured motorists?) I have been told that a lawyer will take 30 to 40% of the money. I probably seem very naive, but what could happen if I don't get a lawyer? Would they not give me all of the stated amounts, or is it that I could get more than the stated amounts? I just don't have any experience in these matters and I need sound advice from someone who can also tell me "why?"

DadfromArk
STOP talking and start looking.

http://www.arkansasfindalawyer.com/

moburkes

Wow, what a terrible accident. Again, sorry about your loss. You really do need to contact a lawyer. It appears that you're afraid that they will take too much of the settlement, but understand that the $ amount of the settlement will be higher if you do retain a lawyer.

I'm not sure why you think uninsured motorist covers this situation. All parties were insured. The vehicle was insured (by the boss), the driver apparently had their own insurance, and you have insurance (which I presume listed your son as a driver). Other than that, please, please, please let a lawyer help you. The insurance companies are going crazy themselves trying to figure out why you haven't retained one yet. And they know that with representation on your part, they will pay the most $ possible (considering the coverage limits) (and excluding uninsured motorist).

DadfromArk

I have been told by the insurance companies that uninsured motorist may also be referred to a underinsured motorist. Since my son was killed in the accident the amounts listed in bodily injury don't come close to paying for what a life is worth. Therefore the uninsured/underinsured coverage will apply also.

enjay

DadfromArk said:
Since my son was killed in the accident the amounts listed in bodily injury don't come close to paying for what a life is worth.
I'm sorry for your loss. Please understand that no matter how much you get it will not compensate for the loss of your son. It may make life a bit more luxurious for you, but there is no magical dollar amount that will bring peace.

dallas702

See if you can grasp the seriousness and complexity of acheiving a proper resolution...

1- GET THE BEST P.I. LAWYER YOU CAN

2- get the idea of not suing out of your head, and stop trying to figure out what to do

3- GET THE BEST P.I. LAWYER YOU CAN-----NOW!

Just hit the link BB gave you and go do it!

DadfromArk

I know that money is not going to take the place of my son. I would trade all I own and ever own to have my son back. But that can never happen. In the Bible King David said over his young son who had died, "He will never return to me, but I will go to be with him."

My son accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior and Lord. I know I will see him in heaven, soon! That is what is keeping me going. I have no desire to see the person who was driving prosectued, although the State of Florida may very well do that. If I can, I will gladly testify in her behalf for no prison time. I also don't desire her family to be ruined fanancially.(sp? I wish there was a spell check on this thing!)

My son used to tell me to invest in real estate because he, "Didn't want to have to take care of me when I was old." But then he added, "But I will if you need me to." Those words are poigniont (sp?)

I see collecting from the insurance companies represented as a part of my responsibility to my family and to my son who has gone to heaven before me. I want to be treated fairly. I want no more than I should get. We have funeral expences, and the added burden of his loss of income. I am beginning to see that I will probably need a good lawyer, not so much from the well intentioned advice I have gotten here on line, but from what the insurance companies are saying to me most recently.

The main thing I had hoped to get on line is an understanding of "why" I need to do certain things...what exactly to expect from the insurance people. I feel that I have not been given much in that area, maybe that's too much to expect from this type of forum. But I thank you all for the words you have offered. I pray that you all my know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. That truly is the most important decision you will ever make in your life.

May God bless you all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">