• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son-in-law found at fault for accident where there was no stop sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deebow59

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My son in law had an accident at a rural intersection and he was the one that received the "at fault" ticket. There was no stop sign for him or the other driver. The officer that responded gave him the ticket because on the other side of the intersection was a stop sign. In other words,there should of been a stop sign for him to stop at but it was no longer there. I figure the city should be the responsible party to the cause of this accident. Any comments or advice will help seeing as his vehicle was damaged and the one he hit was heavily damaged.

seniorjudge

What does the cop say on the police report why the ticket was issued?

How can this be a rural intersection in the city (since "rural" means not in the city)?

Deebow59

Maybe it isn't 'rural " as in 'not in the city'. Let me rephrase that: The accident was on a 'back road' so to speak. One that is not used as a regular route for daily drivers.

There was a collision...he t-boned the other vehicle and he recieved a ticket and the other driver did not. Even though there was no stop sign at either drivers point of entering the intersection. Hope that helped.

racer72

That would be an uncontrolled intersection, there are quite a few in the neck of the woods where I live. The vehicle entering the intersection from the right would would have the right of way. If you son hit the car in the driver's side, he would be at fault for the accident.

Just Blue

That would be an uncontrolled intersection, there are quite a few in the neck of the woods where I live. The vehicle entering the intersection from the right would would have the right of way. If you son hit the car in the driver's side, he would be at fault for the accident.
Isn't this drivers 101? I know I learned this when I took driving lessons...

JustAPal00

Maybe it isn't 'rural " as in 'not in the city'. Let me rephrase that: The accident was on a 'back road' so to speak. One that is not used as a regular route for daily drivers.

There was a collision...he t-boned the other vehicle and he recieved a ticket and the other driver did not. Even though there was no stop sign at either drivers point of entering the intersection. Hope that helped.
Was the other driver coming from the right or left? Was there a white stripe painted across the entrance to the intersection on the road where your son in law was driving? What types of roads were the two vehicles on(paved? dirt? two lane? four lane?) Is he or anyone else familiar with the road, so as to provide an estimate of how long the sign was missing?

Deebow59

I believe the other driver was coming from the left... I gues thats the deciding factor and will have to call him to make sure. There is no white stripe (stop line) . Two lane road with no center stripe and the road is paved. He was not familiar with the road at all...it was his first time teaveling home that way. Others have told him that there used to be a stop sign there but it has been gone for several months now.

JustAPal00

I believe the other driver was coming from the left... I gues thats the deciding factor and will have to call him to make sure. There is no white stripe (stop line) . Two lane road with no center stripe and the road is paved. He was not familiar with the road at all...it was his first time teaveling home that way. Others have told him that there used to be a stop sign there but it has been gone for several months now.
If he hit him on the passenger side of the car that would rule out the driver to the right question. If there was no white stripe across your drivers lane and the sign was missing, that would take care of the not stopping at a stop sign question. If both roads were two lane blacktop roads, then he would have had no need to assume that the other driver had the right of way. I would look into who is responsable to maintain street signs in your state. I would go back to that intersection and maybe try to talk to some motorists or put up a sign asking to be contacted from anyone who travels the road and might have some idea of how long that sign has been missing. The state or local municipality are responsable for maintaining signage and maybe be able to be held liable for the accident. Seems to me I remember a case where some kids stole a stop sign and were charged with murder for an accident that happened because the sign was removed!

JustAPal00

Would that be because I just posted it a few days ago in another thread?????
Maybe you could give me a link to that thread? I scanned back over your posts for the last few weeks, and no mention of that case! Could it be that you're just a blow hard???????
I saw it on Dateline or 20/20 or one of those news shows, maybe that's where you saw it too, and you're just a little confused!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">