• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son lost finger in accident at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pam Burrick

Let's see if I can get this all in....

My son, 17, injured himself while operating a table saw at work. He lost his left index finger, severly injured his middle finger (time will tell how much use he'll regain) and also cut his ring finger.

He was working "under the table" at a shop that is located at his bosses home. We like the man he works for and aren't out to harm him, but we do believe that my son, Jeff, deserves some compensation.

If it's reported that this happened while Jeff was working, his boss could be in big trouble for allowing a minor to operate the table saw. We don't want that.

My thoughts are that the boss should turn it into his homeowner's insurance as an accident that happened to a friend helping him do some work at home. They were cutting wood to repair a barn. I'd like to negotiate a settlement with the insurance, above what the medical expenses will be.

How do I go about this? What would be considered a fair settlement?

ALawyer

Pam, you owe it to your son to get him to a good personal injury lawyer immediately.

He sustained severe personal injury that will impact his life forever and yet you are worried about hurting the boss' feelings. It will diminish his opportunity to earn a living. The boss will not get in criminal trouble.

And if you think the other insurance company would settle "fairly" with you on a personal injury, forget it.
Please read the material on FreeAdvice.com about negotiating with the insurance company on your own, I think it is under auto accidents.

P

Pam Burrick

I read the material you suggested and have already asked myself all those same questions. Of course I don't have the answers.

My son is totally against suing his boss. While I'm proud that he isn't looking at this as a chance to "get rich" and that he's considering his bosses feelings, I also don't want to allow him to deprive himself of compensation that he's entitled to. It's a difficult situation.

My son hopes to continue working for this man after he heals, and he's learning a trade that he intends to pursue as his life time career. I'm sure that opportunity will be lost if we sue. I'm also concerned that my son will see me as the "bad guy" if I insist on pursuing this.

If we hire an attorney and obtain a settlement would the money come from the bosses home owner's insurance? Or do they just pay for medical and out of pocket expenses?

I'll know more about Jeff's prognosis after the bandages and stitches are removed on Friday. We'll make an appt. to meet with an attorney once we have that information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">