• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son over 18, parent's liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alhicks

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California
My stepson who is 18 and has lived out of our house since April of 2003 - bought a used car (not sure of the specifics), he has no driver's license or car insurance, within 24 hours he was picked up for evading police, DUI, no license, the police originally were trying to pull him over for for no lights, while he was evading the police he sideswiped a truck. He is an excluded driver on my car insurance from our family car because of an incident when he was under 18. Since my stepson gave the police our address when they arrested him, he has received a letter from Allstate (the truck owner's insurance) about the accident. My stepson is serving 4 months in jail for this whole incident so do we do anything, reply to Allstate and tell them the situation he is in and are we in any way liable as his parents situation.

smorr

Depends on how upset you are with him - if you're really upset with him you could just send back the letter to Allstate and write "not at this address" on the envelope (unless you opened it....); or you could call Allstate, let them know he's incarcerated and give them the facility's address - or you can accept his mail at your address and simply do what the other writer mentioned - forward to the facility yourself.

You are not liable for his actions - this incident happened with his own car (registered or not), he was DUI, he had no license and you do not have him as a driver on your policy. I don't see any liablity on your part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">