• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son pushed by neighborhood bully

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hurtson

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Georgia

My 10 year old son was at his bustop and was having an "argument" at his bustop with an 11 year old boy. It was a carryover argument from the day prior but there was no physical activity between the two boys. A 13 year old boy, the oldest of all the boys, was not even involved in the "argument" and was in fact standing about 15 feet away. He came out or nowhere and pushed my son with his forearm, knocking my son to the ground. My son received multiple cuts on the back of his head as it was a gravel driveway with jagged rocks. All the kids right away started trying to tell my son to say that he fell and to say that the other boy didn't do it. (Everyone has since admitted that he was pushed) There was tons of blood and paramedics and the police were called. We have pressed charges against the boy and he will be charged with battery.
The dilemma is this.... The boys stepfather has claimed, first, that his kid didn't do it. He was uncooperative with police and it is in the police report that he denied his son's involvement. The contents of the police report are clearly in our favor.
Then, he said that his kid gently touched my son and he tripped over a board and hit his head. That didn't happen as they were in the middle of the driveway and they weren't near any boards.
NOW, he says that his son was being a good samaritan and was protecting the 11 year old boy from my son. He claims that my son was about to hit him and he "sprang" in the nick of time and pushed my son before he could land the punch.
The guy has refused to admit any wrongdoing at this point. He has threatened to "see us in court" and he is claiming that they are the victims. He has hired an attorney and flatout refuses to pay our $366 emergency room bill.
Does anyone have a take on this? Where have we gone wrong here? the boy did it...was unprovoked...admitted to it...and he wants to see us in court.......what's wrong with this picture?

A

azmother3

Its called America first off the charges of battery will be thrown out with the look on it that it is a childhood fight they happen if everyone in america pressed charges against children we would be overwhelmed more so with lawsuits than we are now.

You are though intitled to recover costs for your medical bills if you can prove that the other boy did do this.

You pretty much are wasting time and money with battery charges and just go to small claims court to recover for medical

H

hurtson

I am not filing a lawsuit against anyone, nor do I want to. The officer involved suggested that I press charges against the minor as my son was clearly blindsided by a boy that was 3 years his senior and outweighed him by 40 lbs. If the boy is found guilty he will have to pay for the hospital bills. But the family of the boy is saying that his son was being a good samaritan and he shouldn't be punished. He is turning it around saying that the offender is the victim.

I must say, however, that if your same thought process is used, bullies could grow up to be felons because they were allowed to get away with that type of behavior as children. "Boy" problems grow up to be "man" problems if they go unchecked. Too many problems of today could have been avoided if people had not taken the attitude that "boys will be boys". Though I do appreciate your opinion, I respectfully disagree with your thinking.

Any other points of advise would be greatly appreciated.

What it will boil down to, is what the witnesses observed.

If witnesses confirm your son's version of the story, the boy will probably get charged with misdemeanor battery. For a boy this age, it will be a slap on the hand, unless he has a history of violent behavior.

My step-daughter, at 14, punched her 16 year old sister in the nose, for laughing at her while she was in an embarrassing public situation. Witnesses confirmed that little sister hit older sister. Little sister was charged with misdemeanor battery, pled guilty and was placed on probation.

She was SO cocky about it, beforehand. She thought that because it was a sibling squabble that nothing would happen to her, that it would be dismissed. That is was okay to smack her sister around.

Being unlike your bully's parents, our little punkin' got no support/sympathy from us. We have always told her that violence (unless self-defense) is not acceptable. You play, you pay. Our little delinquent got to spend a week in juvenile detention while awaiting her court dates, because when the police offered to release her to our custody, we said "no thanks." They hauled her away in handcuffs. The look on her face was classic. We may not have been so harsh, except for the fact that this was not the first time she had been violent toward her sister and that her sister was afraid of her.

Your bully's parents will get the pleasure of attending 2-3 court hearings before the matter is resolved. They will get to sit in a little waiting room, with people who look and smell like the scum of the earth. People with all sorts of interesting tatoos. (These are typically the parents of the juvenile offenders). They will get to wait for hours on end for their case to be called. They will really appreciate and enjoy the experience. Hopefully, they will have to take off work (unpaid) to be in court with their bully.

If the judge finds the bully guilty of battery, he will most like order resititution, as well. If not, go to small claims court.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">