• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son Wrecked Truck and Only has Learner's Permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vixenrr

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My son is 18 and has had his learner's permit for about a month or two. He only recently came to live with me and is still a senior in high school.

While I was taking a nap, he took my truck without asking and went out. We have been having severe storms all day. He was driving down one of the worst roads in the county and it started pouring down rain; he hit a ditch and the truck flipped over onto its top. Luckily he was wearing his seatbelt and didn't get hurt. My truck wasn't as fortunate; the tow truck driver totaled it while flipping it back over with the chain hoist.

I did not have my son on my insurance because I didn't expect him to be driving it. He has his own vehicle that we were in the process of renovating for his use that is grounded in the driveway. The officer asked if I wanted to press charges against my son; I told him of course not. Kids do stupid things, it's a part of growing up; unfortunately, I wish this hadn't been one of his learning experiences. Anyways, I guess I'm looking for answers as to what I should/shouldn't do.

I called my insurance company and reported the accident. An agent from Progressive will be calling in the morning. I've already started looking at other vehicles and intend to purchase one right away. Any questions, ideas or thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stephenk

Be prepared for your carrier to deny the claim.

If your son works, now is the time to teach him a lesson on being accountable for his actions. He can make payments to you toward a new vehicle.

moburkes

Not necessarily. Many carriers don't require the permitted driver to be listed on the policy. Some allo you to wait until s/he has a license. Good luck. But, yeah, after you hug him and thank God that he's alright, set up a payment plan, in writing, so that he can learn about the consequences of his actions.

Vixenrr

Insurance just called and they were very sympathetic to my needs. They're even having a rental car company bring me another truck to use at no addt'l charge for my use. An appraiser will go evaluate my truck today and I'll speak with the claims handler tomorrow to settle the whole mess. Btw...my son turned 18 in January 07 and only recently acquired his permit in mid-March. His living arrangements with me are only temporary as he will soon be headed to college where he will reside on campus.

Anyways, it's been a very difficult night, I've looked at many other Avalanche's to replace my truck. None are really what I want, I really loved what I had; but I've found a couple I could live with and will go to view them today. I've also called my bank regarding my loan on my recently deceased truck and the need for a new loan.

Hopefully, there will only be just a few more days of anxiety and stress and life will go back to normal. With the exception of inflated premium rates that I know I won't be able to avoid and the couple of thousand dollars that I expect to be relieved of with the unexpected transactions. If anyone else can help me along the way with advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep you posted.

moburkes

Your son will be considered a permanent member of your household or his other parent's household until he graduates or moves off campus. He needs to get insurance ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">