• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son's bicycle smashed into car-injuries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legal1234

What is the name of your state? Colorado
My 16 year old was riding his bicycle in the street after dark, looked before crossing the street. He saw the car and didn't think it was that close. He was hit and went through the windshield. He was taken to the emergency room where they reported that he was in fair condition. The driver of the car was not injured but his windshield was destroyed. My son received a ticket for failing to stop at the stop sign and not having a light on his bicycle. Now the driver is calling me wanting compensation for his car. I called the police dept. because they left the ticket in the emergency room. I have not seen it yet. I called the police and they said even tho my son is under 18 he will be charged as an adult. I have not found out yet if the driver has insurance. What am I or my son liable for? Can he sue us?

racer72

Sounds as if you will be held liable for the damages and yes, you can be sued. You should contact both your auto and homeowners insurance companies, one may cover the damage.

L

legal1234

new information

Thank you for your replies.
It appears that the car involved in this accident was going 20 miles over the speed limit and the skid marks were not even examined. When the officers talked to my son he was in shock. How does this change things?

racer72

It doesn't. The fact that the car was speeding may have contributed to the accident but was not the cause. Your son failing to yield was the cause. As I stated, contact you insurance providers for further information.

L

legal1234

but my son did stop and look, the car was a block away when he saw it. I don't have insurance. I don't drive and I rent.

HomeGuru

Once again;

QUOTE]Originally posted by HomeGuru
Writer, what did your insurance people tell you thus far? [/QUOTE]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">