• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

son's car hit by another student

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pookie52240

My 17 year old son was recently involved in an accident near the high school he attends in Iowa.
The school parking lot was full so my son was following another friend trying to find a place to park on a street nearby.
My son was behind his friend. The other boy stopped as if to parallel park, but instead sat there. He then put his hand up, and my son thought his friend wanted to tell him something, so my son pulled up next to him and stopped his car. The next thing he knew, the other boy smacked into my son's car. The entire right side fender and door are dented in. Estimates to repair are $1350-$1550. The other kid just has my son's white paint on his left front bumper.
We tried to turn it in to the other boy's insurance, but I believe they are moving slow in hopes that we will just go away.
There were no witnesses to this accident. My son's version of the story has always stayed the same. But the other kid's version keeps changing. The other kid says he was isgnaling for my son to stop. But my son was already stopped behind him waiting. My son moved up beside this kid because he thought he weanted to speak with him. If the other kid truly was telling him to wait (which he already was), then where did the other kid think my son's car was when he looked in the rearview mirror to begin parallel parking? The other kid is now stating , after speaking to his insurance guy, that he thinks my son's car was moving. My question is a simple one, if he was aware of the location of my son's car, then why did he hit him. The answer is not aware of the location of my son's car. My son was stopped next to him.
We are considering taking them to small claims court to get this resolved. When our insurance guyt interviewed my son, he was glad to hear that he was at a complete stop when the other boy hit him. He said that there is some law that states that the other party is at fault if you are stopped.
Any advice? I would really like to resolve this through our insurance, but it looks like that's not going to happen.
Thank you, Karol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">