• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket/speedy trial/radar question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dizzle12

What is the name of your state? MASS

i got pulled over while i was on cruise control at 40mph in a 40mph zone, the officer said to me "taking a joyride in your parents mercedes?" im 18 in my dads old eclass, i have never recieved a ticket or even been pulled over before and he wrote 50mph in a 40

somehwere i heard that if you do not recieve a court date within 45 days you get off because they violated your right to a speedy trial. Is this true?

is there any law on how often radar guns have to be calibrated? if so, how do i suponed the calibration logs from the police station

seniorjudge

dizzle12 said:
What is the name of your state? MASS

i got pulled over while i was on cruise control at 40mph in a 40mph zone, the officer said to me "taking a joyride in your parents mercedes?" im 18 in my dads old eclass, i have never recieved a ticket or even been pulled over before and he wrote 50mph in a 40

somehwere i heard that if you do not recieve a court date within 45 days you get off because they violated your right to a speedy trial. Is this true?

is there any law on how often radar guns have to be calibrated? if so, how do i suponed the calibration logs from the police station
Q: somehwere i heard that if you do not recieve a court date within 45 days you get off because they violated your right to a speedy trial. Is this true?

A: Speedy trial laws do not cover traffic offenses.

(By the way, the cruise control statement is irrelevant...you are still responsible for the speed of the vehicle.)

seniorjudge

dizzle12 said:
i was on cruise control set at 40 so i know i was going 40

the speed limit was 40
i was on cruise control set at 40 so i know i was going 40

That does not mean you were going 40; all it means is you had your cruise control set at 40. Big difference.

gawm

dizzle12 said:
what is the difference?
Your cruise control could not be working right. Or it could be that cop does not like teenagers driving nicer cars than him. Have the cruise control Checked out by a mechanic and if there is a problem bring the documentation to court and the judge might reduce the fine. If you are eligible for traffic school I would go that route first. You probably not going to convince a judge that this officer had a hard on for you.

luvbskts

dizzle12 said:
what is the difference?

in addition, make sure your spedometer is correct. The local police department might help you with that. If it's off, you might be able to get out of the ticket.

sukharev

Since you are from MA, your life is not over yet :)

First appearance is in magistrate, where you may be able to get your ticket dismissed. If you are curious on details, re-post your case info on the speeding section of this forum, and I will give you the pointers you need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">