• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding In washington

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

speeder

What is the name of your state? Washington (not DC the state)

My friend was driving my car and we were speeding an undisclosed amount lets say 30 over in a 70 and we got pulled over and he was arrested and given a Reckless driving ticket.
After we got pulled over he was frisked, arrested and put into the back of the cop car without being read his rights.
During this time I was taken out of my car, frisked asked what happened then the cops asked "is there anything in the car we should know about?"
I said no
and they searched it,
I NEVER said they could search my car.
Was him getting arrested enough for them to search my car without either of our consent?
Also we are both 17 in case that matters.
If they were not allowed to do this I am probabily going to sew and donate the money I win to some charity, and take us out to a victory dinner.
Was what the Po-po did legal?
If not what repercussions are there for them?
Thanks for helping! Really appreciate it!

ecmst12

It really depends on the situation, whether there was probable cause to search without your consent. Did they find anything? If so, you'd better get a lawyer and let HIM worry about whether the search was legal. If not, it's a purely academic question anyway.

speeder

They found nothing!
Also I heard from a friend that searching is legal because they have probable cause when going over 100 in WA

ecmst12

I suspect that's something that's going to be determined on a case by case basis, unless your friend happens to be a district attorney that prosecutes these kinds of cases and would actually know.

racer72

The search was legal, it is allowed in Washington based on the arrest. The driver of the vehicle is considered the person responsible for the vehicle, the officer did not have to ask you for permission. Your friend needs to talk to his parents and hire and attorney, conviction for a reckless when under 18 is an automatic license suspension for 90 days or age 18, which ever is longer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">