• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sports injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lowe2

Hello, this is coming from Florida. This is the situation. Four years ago a friend of mine entered a certain university in Florida (which I choose not to disclose the name, but lets just say that it has been in the top 10 for over 11-12 years). This young man was recruited to play football for schools such as Michigan, Nebraska, Miami, Notre Dame, etc. He was #2 in his position in the country and #1 in the state of Texas- not just an everyday middle linebacker. At the end of his freshman year, he had a freak accident during practice which resulted in permanent nerve damage and of course the end of his extremly promising football career. All of the major ligiments in his knee were torn. After surgry was done, it left him with a permanent limp. The only thing was, the doctors never repaired his ACL (a very important and if not taken care of, a very painful injury). Even simple task, such as going for walks, or walking to classes on campus are very painful to him. Doing physical activities such as working out is simply out of the question. There have been times (four years later) where I have watched this grown man cry in from pain he is suffering from his knee. At times, walking has been a task. Even now that he has graduated, he has realized he is not applicable for many of the jobs available to him within his major. I was wondering does he have a case? Granted, the school has nothing to do with whether or not their players have accidents, but because he was under scholarship, it was the school's (athletic department) responcibility to repair the damage. At this point, there is nothing to do about the nerve damage, but he will never know if the pain is even necessary because the school never bothered to repair his ACL. He just feels as if the doctors (who are employed by the school) said "hey, he'll never be able to play ball again, so what is the purpose of repairing everything?" Please respond, it would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">