• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spouse liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

benwas

What is the name of your state? Alaska
My wife hit a pedestrian and they are sueing us. the persons lawyer named me as well as my wife in the suit because he said I owned the car and let her use it. The title for the car is only in her name. Can they sue me even when the title is only in her name? we are insured but they are sueing for more than the maximum.If they can't sue me can they take my assets if my wife is found responsible?(not that I have anything of any value other than my wages)

Z

zappy

benwas:

Look man i hit a pedestrian too...OOPS the pedestrian hit my car...the pedestrian was 100% at fault..

That is what you have to do, is to honestly look at the accident, and if your wife is not at fault, then you have to go after the pedestrian with BOTH barrels, this is no joke.

99% of the People ASSUME you are at fault for hitting a pedestrain, but the fact is a lot of pedestrains cause the accident but it takes GUTS to demand the pedestrian take FULL resonsibility for their actions and their injuries and get NOTHING from you.

So analyse the accident, what did the pedestrain do to cause it.

For example, was it a dark night and the pedestrain was wearing Black clothing on an unlit street? Did the pedestrian jaywalk? or cross against a dont walk sign? take it step by step and if your wife is innocent...

Dont sign anything period...there is more but i need the details of the accident.

B

benwas

Right but my main concern is can I be held liable for my wifes accedent even though my name is not on the title and wasn't there when it happened?

Z

zappy

thats not the right question...

is the insurance ONLY in her name and you are not on her policy as a driver?

eg: you have your own car and seperate insurance?

JETX

Benwas: You have fallen for the forum troll 'Crappy'. He has NO legal knowledge or experience. In fact, he is a welfare-bum living in NY and seems to get his 'jollies' by posting his ignorant drivel on the forum.

So, lets get the REAL legal facts on your post.

"My wife hit a pedestrian and they are sueing us. the persons lawyer named me as well as my wife in the suit because he said I owned the car and let her use it. The title for the car is only in her name. Can they sue me even when the title is only in her name?"
*** Yes, they can name you in their lawsuit.... but that doesn't mean it will 'stick'. If you in fact have no liability in this, then you (or your attorney) can file a motion with the court and have you removed from the lawsuit.

"we are insured but they are sueing for more than the maximum.If they can't sue me can they take my assets if my wife is found responsible?"
*** If they get a judgment against your and/or your wife, they can garnish wages and/or seize non-exempt property as allowed by your state.

The key to this is.... have your wife contact her insurance company (and you, yours if different) and let the insurance company handle this. They will also provide legal counsel for their policyholder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">