• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spouse liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cohiba1963

Indiana

I got married a few months ago. My new wife had an accident in the car she brought into the marriage. She didn't have auto insurance. I wasn't aware that she didn't. I inquired a while back and she said she had insurance and had paid up for the entire year. Apparently she let it lapse. Am I liable for the damage/injury she caused?

Last edited:

racer72

Because you took the time to remove the preinstalled phrase "What is the name of your state?" and did not name a state, you will not get an answer to your question. Yes, knowing what state you live in has a very large bearing on the answer you may receive.

racer72

Took you 13 minutes to edit your post, you must be anxious for an answer. Indiana is not a community property state, you should have no liability for the accident. Thats not to say someone might not try. Any jointly held accounts or property can be tied up if you don't take certain precautions. Both you and your wife need the services of a local attorney, see one soon.

C

cohiba1963

Thanks for the reply. It's helpful info. Sorry about removing the state info. I didn't realize what it was for at first. Should have realized the significance. ... Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">