• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stacking insurance policy limits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NJInjury

What is the name of your state? NJ

Two questions on stacking insurance policies:

1. Can PI claim limits and medical coverage be stacked over 2 policy years?

For example, injury occurred in 2006, policy was renewed in 2007 and treatment is still ongoing. Can medical benefits be doubled and can a claim for twice the PI limit be made?

2. We (my family) live with my parents in their house. My parents are listed as "other drivers in the household" on my policy and my wife and I are listed as "other drivers in the household" on their policy. Can either the PI or medical benefits from my parents policy be included in any claims?

Thanks.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NJ

Two questions on stacking insurance policies:

1. Can PI claim limits and medical coverage be stacked over 2 policy years?

For example, injury occurred in 2006, policy was renewed in 2007 and treatment is still ongoing. Can medical benefits be doubled and can a claim for twice the PI limit be made?

2. We (my family) live with my parents in their house. My parents are listed as "other drivers in the household" on my policy and my wife and I are listed as "other drivers in the household" on their policy. Can either the PI or medical benefits from my parents policy be included in any claims?

Thanks.
Nope. It is based on the amount of coverage available at the exact time of the accident.
For your 2nd question, it depends upon what you mean. You cannot use your PIP under your policy, and their PIP under theirs, for example.

NJInjury

Thanks for clarifying. Something didn't sound right when I was told about "stacking". Do you mind explaining or giving and example of how stacking of policies works? Thanks.

moburkes

Stacking involves uninsured motorist coverage, but not in your state. You simply multiply the number of vehicles on the policy at the time of the accident by the amount of UM coverage available at the time of the accident.
1. Only applies to UM
2. Just simply math

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">