• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which State do I register and insure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjekoval

What is the name of your state? Michigan/Indiana

I am 24 and I'm a student going to college in Indiana, however I have a Michigan driver's license and still consider my home in Michigan to be my "legal" home. I am buying a car back in Michigan and I am wondering if I can to register and insure my car in Indiana and if that involves getting an Indiana license ( I would rather keep my Michigan license and the place where I vote in Michigan) as well or if I can just register and insure it in Michigan and drive it at school. At the end of the day I want to know if I can keep my Michigan license (and therefore voting place).

JustAPal00

As a student you can keep your permanent residence in Michigan. I would assume you have family there and a mailing address. You can register your car there and carry a Michigan license. You should let your insurance company know where you go to school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">