• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Farm Ignoring Legal Claim, What damages can I go for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KatherineKelley

State Farm has acknowledged my legitimate claim and made me an offer. That offer is not even close to what is should be, but I accepted anyway just to put an end to the matter. My acceptance has been sent to the claims adjustor twice in the last three months, but they are not responding to me at all. They have not sent a letter, a check, or anything. I am ready to sue! How much in punitivie damages can I go for legitimately? (Remember, they admitted they owed me, made an offer, and then ignored me.) I'm thinking I should at least go for the price of the new car I had to buy out of pocket because of this incident!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

KatherineKelley said:
State Farm has acknowledged my legitimate claim and made me an offer. That offer is not even close to what is should be, but I accepted anyway just to put an end to the matter. My acceptance has been sent to the claims adjustor twice in the last three months, but they are not responding to me at all. They have not sent a letter, a check, or anything. I am ready to sue! How much in punitivie damages can I go for legitimately? (Remember, they admitted they owed me, made an offer, and then ignored me.) I'm thinking I should at least go for the price of the new car I had to buy out of pocket because of this incident!
My response:

When is your Statute of Limitations up ?

Your problem is common. Please remember, yours is not the only claim being handled - - they have thousands, and they flow in by the hundreds on a daily basis.

However, if your want your file to be placed close to the top of the stack, then get yourself an attorney. From what you have expressed, while I see a modicum of delay, I wouldn't consider it bad faith, or anything that would amount to the level of punitive damages.

But, if you have allowed the Statute of Limitations to expire without filing a lawsuit, that would be one reason to "shine you on". However, they would have had to send you a letter informing you of the Statute of Limitations.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">