• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which states law apply to settlement of Collision Coverage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lottaskarma

What is the name of your state? Incident occurred in Texas, live in Louisiana.

My vehicle was totalled in Texas yet I live in Louisiana. When my insurer (other party at fault yet has no insurnace) offered payment for the collision coverage the figure appeared way out of range, almost double what was thought to be the correct figure. The insurer withdrew the original offer shortly thereafter stating that Texas has a different formula for calculating total loss economic impact and since the owner is actually a resident of the State of Louisiana, Louisiana laws superceeds Texas Laws. From what we have been told by my insurer is Texas laws allow for more leaway in estimating total loss eg. cost to find new vehicle, increase in value due to recent inprovements etc. Which states laws actually apply here?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">