• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ID Victim

What is the name of your state? AZ

Hello all,
I live in AZ, and when traveling in CA I was involved in a minor fender bender. It was my fault that I rear-ended someone.

My car was rental. My insurance company will cover damage to my rental car, while the liability coverage I had bought from rental will cover (has already) the other guy.

It's been 3 months since the accident, but my insurer says that the rental car company has not sent them a bill to date. At this point of time, I am not sure if rental wants to send us a bill at all, since the damage was minor (some dents in the bumper).

So, my question is, how long am I supposed to wait for them to send us a bill? Is there a statute of limitation here? Should I wait for 6 months, and call them saying we can't reimburse them? If I have to do it, is it my job or that of my insurer?
I have this question because I am planning to move from my current job/location to an entirely new place which may also cause me to change my insurer. So, How can I best manage this case? I don't want some collection agency knocking on my door 5 years down the line asking for money.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.
ID V

Last edited:

ecmst12

You can certainly call the rental company and ask them. And actually your insurance would be primary over the rental company's liability insurance - they will probably pay and bill your insurance for that too.

efflandt

Look at the papers you signed from the rental car company. If you signed and paid extra for for insurance from them, maybe its was a "collision damage waiver", which may have already covered damage to the rental car. In that case your insurance might owe nothing.

For a careful driver covered by their own insurance (or in some cases automatic rental collision coverage by certain credit cards), the collision damage waiver is usually a useless extra expense. But it may have paid to have it in your case.

alnorth

as far as the statute of limitations goes, 3 months is nothing. Assuming you didnt pay them to waive collision, in California they have 3 years to come after you and your insurance policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">