• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitation to seek medical treatment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

em3rald7

What is the name of your state? Texas

I've been searching but does anyone know the statute of limitation to seek medical treatment after an accident?

I'm having trouble with my case right now and my laywyer is not being very helpful. I have about $5000 in medical bills but he can only get the other guy( who was completely at fault for the accident) to pay me $700 because he said i waited too long to seek medical treatment. my accident was on Sept. 10 and i went to the hospital on Sept. 26 to get x-rays after my back started hurting, then again on Sept. 29 and then i had 26 sessions at the chiropractor. i waited 16 days before my initial treatment so did i wait too long?

I appreciate any help, thnk you :)

ecmst12

I hardly think 2 weeks is that long, the insurance company is being stupid. Unless there's some evidence that you had another accident or trauma between 9/10 and 9/26, there's no reason for them to be denying your bills. Your lawyer should be able to take care of this easily, though it may take some time.

em3rald7

Your lawyer should be able to take care of this easily, though it may take some time.
I may have left out the year ...the case happened in 2006... my lawyer has been working on it since then ...

If i decide to fire him and go with another lawyer do i have to pay him? Because he is giving some BS about how i waited more than two hundred and something days before getting treatment. And I personally handed him the bills from the hospital with the DATE and REASON FOR VISIT that clearly states it only took 16 days... so can i dump him without paying him b'cuz he's not that helpful....

ecmst12

Not likely, you did sign a contract. You should schedule a face-to-face meeting with him to discuss your case.

em3rald7

I've been trying to do that for awhile now... but i guess i'll try harder...

back to my original question..do u by chance know EXACTLY how many days i have to seek medical treatment? I just want to be knowledgeable about the law when i meet with him.

las365

There is no law that states how long you have to seek medical treatment after an injury.

The longer you wait to seek treatment, the more likely it is that the liable party will try to claim your injury is not related to the accident.

If you go to a lawyer before you go to a doctor, especially if you then go to a doctor who is recommended by the lawyer, that may further put into question whether you were really injured in the accident.

em3rald7

If you go to a lawyer before you go to a doctor, especially if you then go to a doctor who is recommended by the lawyer, that may further put into question whether you were really injured in the accident.
that's a good point, i have to go find my paper work to see which came first, but i remember me going to the hospital first, then to a chiropractor, and the chiropractor suggested the lawyer... does the fact that the chiropractor suggested the lawyer hurt my case?

las365

does the fact that the chiropractor suggested the lawyer hurt my case?
I'd say probably not but maybe. It could depend on how many times the adjuster has seen this attorney-chiro combo. Too late to change that now, though!

As ecmst12 said, you need to see your attorney face-to-face to make sure he knows the facts of your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">