• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mebirdlady1959

I am trying to obtain information about a possible personal injury case I want to persue...I had about 8 years ago sued the Palm Beach County Sherriffs Dept and settled out of court..but the officer responsible then and now still works for the force..and he beat the crap out of me...I was told I can still sue him personally and need as much info as possible so he gets what is coming to him!!!

M

mebirdlady1959

was I given the incorrect information...I am really interested to know if the person that did this to me can be held accountable, even today

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mebirdlady1959 said:
was I given the incorrect information...I am really interested to know if the person that did this to me can be held accountable, even today
My response:

1. You had to have signed a "Release of All Claims" form when you settled. Such Release would have included all employees (named or unnamed).

2. Even if you didn't, the Statute of Limitations has long ago expired.

IAAL

M

mebirdlady1959

same topic

when i signed forms...(which to this day the lawyer would not send me copies of) and didn't even send me copies of his alleged expenses..so I am almost in the dark..but i do remember a portion....I signed a release that I would not come back and sue the Palm Beach COunty Sherriffs Dept. I do not remember anything about not being able to sue him personally.

the reason I need to do this is the injury sustained back then has NOT gone away...causing alot of trouble with my leg...it is an eyesore....hard to describe...I wound up with a huge calcium deposit inside my leg on the left leg and the deposit is on the outside of the leg, I can't wear
shorts and skirts and bathing suits due to this..it is UGLY..and I have to suffer this way the rest of my life..

That is worth something for me to fight for...HELP

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I can pretty much guarantee that when you signed the Release, it included all "employees" of the City. You didn't have to "Release" the officer personally = = he was, at that time, an employee.

Now, if you really want to be 100% sure, call your attorney and pay him a small fee to have your file brought up to his office from "archives", and to have him send you a copy of the Release. Better yet, ask if you can come to his office to review the entire file.

Hopefully, after all these years, he still has the file. Most jurisdictions only require an attorney to maintain closed files for 3 years after settlement or judgment. But, it can't hurt to ask.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">