• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations in CA, for small property damage to a vehicle - $800 or less

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

santamonica

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California

Is there a statute of limitations on claiming small property damage to a vehicle - $800 or less? No police, DMV or insurance report has ever been filed.

I was involved in a small fender bender over a year ago on one of LA's busiest freeways. The other party involved pulled over and we exchanged all info. There was minor cosmetic damage to the other party's vehicle due to the slow bumper-to-bumper traffic on the freeway at the time.

The other party stated he would get an estimate and be in touch. Months passed. Finally he called, but without having received an estimate. I suggested a couple of body shops and said I would meet him. Still no estimate.

Now more than a year has passed and he finally got an estimate to replace the entire bumper. I plan on getting 2 other estimates, as I have had cosmetic damage fixed on my bumper for less than half the $800 of his replacement estimate.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The statute of limitations on an action to recover for damages to personal property is three years. [Calif. Code of Civil Procedure § 338(c)]

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">