• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations for filing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mskslr

What is the name of your state? California

Is the two year statute of limitations retroactive? I think it became effective Jan. 1, 2002. My accident was late 2001. I'm OK filing now, if the two years applies, if not I'm too late!
Anyone know?

Thanks so much,
Karen

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mskslr said:
What is the name of your state? California

Is the two year statute of limitations retroactive? I think it became effective Jan. 1, 2002. My accident was late 2001. I'm OK filing now, if the two years applies, if not I'm too late!
Anyone know?

Thanks so much,
Karen

My response:

California's new 2 years Statute of Limitations for claims of damages due to bodily injuries took effect on January 1, 2003. Because it was not an "urgency" law, it is NOT retroactive to any previous years - - (with the exception of 9/11/01 victims).

In short, if you have failed to file your Complaint in court prior to the old 1 year Statute of Limitations, you are now "time-barred" from making any claims for your damages; e.g., bodily injury damages and General damages (pain & suffering). However, you are NOT time-barred for making a claim for your property damages, which has a 3 year Statute of Limitations.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">