• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations for moving violations in Hawaii

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

morpheus1977

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
Hey every body I am a first time poster and I have a question.
I recieved a notice from a company called MSB stating a judgment has been entered against me in favor of Hawaii. It says I have a traffic violation with no date on it. I called the company and they said I recieved a ticket on jan of 01. The funny thing is I NEVER recieved a ticket. I never signed one.I never recieved one in the mail. I dont belive they had red light traffic cameras then. Does anybody know if this a real company? What I can do to fight this. All of a sudden I get a bill of over 200.00 bucks.What is the name of your state?

garrula lingua

Get the case number, go to the court and review the file.

You may be mixing up a warrant for non-appearance & collection with a judgment.

If, indeed, you have a ticket, you'll have to appear in (traffic) court and resolve the ticket.
Check what address is listed on the ticket (notice was mailed there).
Did you keep your address current with Dept Motor Vehicles ?

Check the description of the car - a friend/relative may have given your ID when stopped for a ticket.

You have to resolve the ticket issuance problem with the traffic violation court.

If a separate judgment was entered in a civil case, that will have to be reviewed for proof of service submitted to the court. If you resolve the traffic court problem, that should resolve all consequences that flowed from the ticket.

morpheus1977

the only problem is I live in San Diego not Hawaii anymore and I dont think I am flying to hawaii for a traffic violation. Do you think I could call and have a copy of the sitation sent to me for review?

garrula lingua

Driver License Compact (DLC) is an interstate compact used by States of the United States to exchange information concerning license suspensions and traffic violations of non-residents and forward them to the state where they are licensed known as the home state. Its theme is One Driver, One License, One Record. The home state would treat the offense as if it had been committed at home, applying home state laws to the out-of-state offense. The action taken would include, but not be limited to, points assessed on a minor offense such as speeding and suspension of license for a major violation such as DWI/DUI.

[edit] History
The Driver License Compact came into existence with Nevada becoming the first member in 1960. Organizations in the Western States such as Governors came together to cooperate on traffic safety. Thanks to the Beemer Resolution passed by Congress in the late 1950s, states were automatically given permission to form compacts in the areas of traffic safety. Originally, the Driver License Compact dealt with dangerous driving violations such as drunk driving, reckless driving, commission of a felony involving a motor vehicle and others. Later on, minor violations were included as well. Quite a few states joined in the 1960s but it languished in the 1970s and part of the 1980s. In the late 1980s, there was a push by the AAMVA to get states to join and in the early to mid 1990s, quite a few states joined.

The Driver License Compact is no longer being pushed since it is being superseded by the new Driver License Agreement (DLA) which also replaces the Non-Resident Violator Compact. As planned by the AAMVA, when the Driver License Agreement is ratified by Driver License Compact members, it will be no longer relevant.

[edit] States that are members
All states are members except for Michigan, Wisconsin, Georgia, Tennessee (dropped out in 1997), and Massachusetts

[edit] Exceptions
Some states do not assess points for minor offenses and apply the DLC for only major violations such as Colorado, Maryland, Nevada, New York and Pennsylvania
States that are members are free to take action on violations reported from a non-member states as well
Pennsylvania only transfers points from another state within the agreement if it meets certain conditions

... This might impact your CA DL. See above re Interstate Compact (shared info between states regarding traffic violations).
Who knows if it's a bogus ticker or a clerical error or legitimate ?
Write and ask for a copy of the citation; maybe you can resolve this by mail or phone.
If not, you will have to hire a Hawaiin atty to resolve it, if you can't appear personally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">