• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations near

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juliem

What is the name of your state? Oregon
I was injured in rear-end car accident March 2004 in Oregon (other driver's fault). guy who hit me did not have insurance info on him. When i called him later that day for it, his mother refused to let me talk to him and refused insurance info. Since my own insurance co. (Liberty Mutual) tried to deny me my benefits, I retained a lawyer (recommended by my chiropractor). It took him 1 1/2 years to get insurance info. (he also would not return most phone calls and when he did, gave me a line of #*!!, it seems, to keep me hangin in there).
He told me the other driver was not obligated to provide insurance info... is that true?
Statute of limitations is almost up and lawyer's recently been scrambling at last minute to get the things done that he should have been doing all along. He says he cannot give me an itemized list of expenses (probably because he's not done much). He made a "demand" for $ettlement without consulting me, which is much less than appropriate. He's contradicting things he's told (promised) me earlier in case, and seems to be just doing as little as possible and wanting to settle for minimum first offer other insurance (Unitrin) is thinking of offering... easy $ for lawyer, but still leaving me with some medical bills and reduced capacity to work, due to my injury, as before accident.
I often thought of getting a different lawyer, but was informed I'd then owe 2 of them and the 2cnd might be as negligent as the first one. The way it looks, I may end up OWING $, (if lawsuit has to be filed) rather than getting any/or a decent settlement, but more $ for lawyer.
WHAT can I do about my lawyer? and about my situation?
Thanxz much for any ideas!

zippysgoddess

You will more than likely not be able to get another lawyer to take your case this late in the game, but you might want to try. You should have switched lawyers a long time ago, when this one first started playing his blatant games.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">