• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations NY state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mandysmom

my son "borrowed" my husband's car and got into a fender bender in May 1997. Insurance co. suing us to recover no fault wage payments. We were not even aware there was an accident or the car was "borrowed". Are we liable and is there a statute of limitations if they go after my son?

L

lawrat

Be a little more specific please. How old was your son? Was he on the insurance? Was he a licensed driver? Etc etc.

The statute of limitations has probably run out, although indemnification claims may be longer. IF your son was a minor, and you didn't know he took the car, chances are kind of in your favor. BUT.....the car WAS in your name and you DID NOT report it stolen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">