• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SamanthaWV

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

My statute of limitations is up in less than a week. I don't have an attorney, but wish to file a lawsuit (other than in small claims court) to protect my interests. I am in talks with the insurance company now and we may or may not reach a settlement. I have two questions that I hope that you can help me with. Thank you.

1). What steps do I take to file a lawsuit without an attorney? I am not really interested in small claims court because it doesn't even cover my medical bills. Which court do I file in?

2.) I do not have time to hire an attorney before my statute of limitations is up but wish to get the services of an attorney as soon as possible. Is it reasonably possible to find an attorney to represent me after I have drawn up my own papers and filed the lawsuit? In other words, is it possible to find an attorney who would 'touch' it after this?

I want to thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Samantha

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

SamanthaWV said:
What is the name of your state? West Virginia

My statute of limitations is up in less than a week. I don't have an attorney, but wish to file a lawsuit (other than in small claims court) to protect my interests. I am in talks with the insurance company now and we may or may not reach a settlement. I have two questions that I hope that you can help me with. Thank you.

1). What steps do I take to file a lawsuit without an attorney? I am not really interested in small claims court because it doesn't even cover my medical bills. Which court do I file in?

2.) I do not have time to hire an attorney before my statute of limitations is up but wish to get the services of an attorney as soon as possible. Is it reasonably possible to find an attorney to represent me after I have drawn up my own papers and filed the lawsuit? In other words, is it possible to find an attorney who would 'touch' it after this?

I want to thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Samantha

My response:

We don't do "steps". Telling you how to practice law is not the reason why we're here; i.e., It is not our purpose to put you through law school

Since you don't have a specific legal question, it looks like you may be SOL when the SOL expires.

IAAL

SamanthaWV

Well, basically my two questions were:

1.) Which court do I file in? (I'm assuming it's circuit court..just trying to be sure)

AND

2.) Is it likely that an attorney would take my case when she didn't help me draft the original papers?

You Are Guilty

SamanthaWV said:
Well, basically my two questions were:

1.) Which court do I file in? (I'm assuming it's circuit court..just trying to be sure)

AND

2.) Is it likely that an attorney would take my case when she didn't help me draft the original papers?
1. No one can even begin to answer this without at least knowing the type of case, the location(s) of all parties and the amount you are suing for.

2. Possibly. If it's a huge case, I'm sure some schmuck will pick it up, no matter how badly you may have butchered it. On the other hand, if its a $5,000 claim, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">