• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MNSTYLE

In was involved in a auto accident on 8-9-1991 in Virginia . I was (17) seventeen years old at the time. I was driving my parents car and we did not have insurance. The person I hit was hurt pretty bad. (Not wearing a seat belt) I went to juvenile court where the judge gave me a warning and made me attend a driving class. Later on the insurance company for the person I hit sued me for damages of 38,000 dollars on 08-21-1996. I of course did not have that kind of money and we tried to negotiate to a lower amount of $14,000 dollars I have been paying them off and on through the years. My questions are

1. I have heard that the statute in Virginia is 2 years from the date of the accident.

2. I have heard that some states have resurrections on the amount of damages you can claim when involved in a accident while not wearing one

3. Because I was a minor at the time of the accident and driving my parents (uninsured) car did his insurance company sue the wrong person?

4. If the statute did run out of time am I entitled to my money back that I have paid them over the years?

JETX

I've got some bad news for you....

IF the other party received a court judgment against you, it is good for 20 years (yep, TWENTY) from the date of the judgment.

Q1) "I have heard that the statute in Virginia is 2 years from the date of the accident."
A1) If a judgment was rendered, see above.

Q2) "I have heard that some states have resurrections on the amount of damages you can claim when involved in a accident while not wearing one"
A2) I assume you mean 'restrictions'. In any case, doesn't matter. Court case (the proper time to challenge if relevent) is LONG gone.

Q3) "Because I was a minor at the time of the accident and driving my parents (uninsured) car did his insurance company sue the wrong person?"
A3) Maybe. Someone would have to review the entire casefile to see EXACTLY what (and who) was sued and why.

Q4) "If the statute did run out of time am I entitled to my money back that I have paid them over the years?"
A4) See above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">