• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparents Liability for minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vixen341

What is the name of your state? California
My fiancee will not allow my children to drive until they are 18.
My oldest daughter will be 16 in a year and wants to drive.
I do not have a problem with this.
My man says that if he marries me, and my daughter gets into an
accident before she's 18, and it exceeds our insurance coverage,
that they can go after him.....and his business.
Is this true? He is not legally adopting them, so why would he be liable???
Where can I find the California law regarding these types of issues....or legal obligations of Stepparents????

R

reddenbakker

You have a very very caring man....Keep him...

Marriage is a legal partnership, and assets are combined.

So if she gets a car and its under YOUR insurance policy (Not a joint policy) and pay with acheck form your or her checking account, then they will go after you, since you have nothing...thats good!

Not being married, just living together, has some really good financial advantages in America, So dont get married until she is 18, what's your hurry....

Last edited:
V

vixen341

Yes he is....I never said I don't have anything.......
I did some research today and found out:
1. Stepparents have no legal rights or obligations to their stepchildren.
2. Since his business was existing prior to our marriage a third party could not try to take it.
3. A third party could only go after"joint" assets. So, if we kept separate accounts and wait til the kids are 18 before we acquired any assets together.
4. I don't think they could go after the house if we bought one....isn't there some disclaimer or law/insurance that protects you from somebody trying to get your principal residence?
5. I could try to get my Ex to sign her license. He has nothing, so nobdy will ever get anything from him! But, he is not recognized LEGALLY as her father because paternity was never established.... Would this make him signing her license null and void if found out?
6. They couldn't try to get my 401K....(O.J's in-laws couldn't!)
This has been a difficult topic to research. My man and I have decided to seek a family law attorney who specializes in second marriages.....
Plenty to think about....As far as the rush??? I'm 42 he's 49 we have been dating 2 1/2 years. He commutes 45 miles on way to see me...twice a week! I've never been married before...Don't you think it's about time??????;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">