• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepson got in a wreck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dljdad

What is the name of your state? Washington State

1 1/2 years ago my 17 year-old stepson rear ended a fellow in stop and go traffic on I-5 about 120 miles from home. My stepson was on my policy with a $50,000 limit. The other fellow said he was a professional EMT and not hurt and discouraged calling the police since noone was hurt. Our insurance company fixed his brand new Pontiac, we fixed our own car. My stepson, now in college, recently was served with papers. The other guy is suing for 444,000.00. Our insurance company notified us that they were only liable for 50,000.00 and we would be liable for the rest. I make about 30,000 on one job and 9000 a year at my second job. The second job basically pays my child-support. We went through backruptsy in 2005 and are just trying to get kids through college and start over. I have about 20,000 equity in my home. What happens if the insurance company settles? I can't afford a lawyer...We're living month to month now with three people in college. what happens in a case like this?

teflon_jones

The insurance company can only settle for what they'd liable for (the $50K). Any amount beyond that you'll have to settle for.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you can afford to pay a lawyer better than you can afford to pay a large settlement. A lawyer will probably cost you a few thousand. A settlement can cost you a lot more than that!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">