• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Still Registered in My Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cynhtia

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Can anyone advice me on how I should work on getting this disaster cleaned up.

At the end of a lease on a vehicle in 2000 (joint lease, exroommate and myself). My exroommate decided to buy the car and so she did. I can't remember if I left it as a joint purchase or if she purchased it alone. She has made all of the payments and has her own insurance policy. I have my own car and my own insurance policy now.

Last week the police called my house to ask me about my car that was involved in an accident. I was shocked to see that it was registered in my name 2 years later. Okay, so I know I got to get the registration out of my name. However, in the meantime I get a call from MY insurance company (totally seperate from hers with a totally different car on the policy) calls me wanting information regarding my accident. I explained to them that, that vehicle is not on my policy and that I just learned that it was still registered in my name after two years. And, that my exroommate has already filed a claim with HER insurance co.

My current insurance company is requesting that I fax over info. proving that she has the car. How can I do this if it was still left in my name including purchase and registration. Can I use her proof of payoff for the vehicle from her bank, a copy of her insurance policy?

Any guidance appreciated.

P

ProResearch

You answered your own question so that is probably why you did not get any responses.

A search at google.com for "car still registered in my name" (without the quotes) LOL I know sometimes I search for weird phrases...... came up with lots of stuff. This one similar to yours:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/7onYourSide/WABC_7side_032502cardonor.html

It states "Jonathan did everything right when he signed over the car, but the best thing he did was keep the receipt from the charity (new owner - my note). So when a question did arise, he had proof that he no longer owned the vehicle. "

Let us know what happened?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">