• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen vehicle accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dixie Delaware

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Colorado
My husband was involved in an accident 9/16/03. He was not at fault, the at fault driver ran (on foot) from the scene. Both vehicles were totaled. The other vehicle was stolen. The owner of the other vehicle has insurance and her insurance company is investigating her because her stories are conflicting. They have not as of yet denied the claim due to this. We only carried liability and uninsured motorist property damage, medical payments of $10,000 and towing. Our insurance company will not pay for our vehicle until her insurance company denies the claim under our U/M property damage coverage. I was wondering if there is a time limit for the insurance comapny to deny or pay the claim? Can anyone help?

K

knotcops

It is my understanding of the UM Property Damage clause for Colorado, as it applies to your vehicle, would only come into play if the vehicle that damaged your vehicle did not have any liability insurance. Clearly from your post, the other vehicle does have liability insurance coverage. YOUR company may deny the UM claim because of this.

Did the other vehicle owner file a stolen vehicle report with the police?

Talk to your agent to get a clarification on the UM coverage. You don't need anymore suprises.

D

Dixie Delaware

Did the other vehicle owner file a stolen vehicle report with the police?

Talk to your agent to get a clarification on the UM coverage. You don't need anymore suprises. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information. That is the problem, the other vehicle was insured and the owner of the other vehicle is lying (I think to cover up for her husband who I think was driving the vehicle at the time). Her three stories to her insurance company have been inconsistant with each other. They are bringing her in again to see if she will come forward and tell the truth or they are pressing insurance fraud charges against her. In the meantime our insurance company won't do anything. That is why I was asking if there was a time limit to act on a claim. If the other company would deny the claim due to a stolen vehicle, we would have coverage under u/m and u/m p/d. but they think the insured is lying.
The owner of the other vehicle did report the car stolen 15 minutes after the accident. The vehicle was going back into the trailer court it was stolen from at the time of the accident and the guy driving the other car ran back into the trailer court. What do you think of that? There were 3 people, my husband and two witnesses that could identify him but no one has contacted us. I don't know if they've contacted the other two witnesses that stopped to render aid to my husband or not.
Thank you again for any information you can give me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">