• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen vehicle hit & run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mtoggweiler

What is the name of your state? California

Recently my parked car was struck by a stolen vehicle. I have only Liability and Comprehesive coverage so my insurance will not cover me for damages. The stolen car which has been positively identified as the one which hit my car was found shortly thereafter abandoned several blocks away.

The owner of the stolen vehicle has insurance. I've been advised by my insurance company and unofficially by the police that the owner and his insurance company are in no way financially responsible since his car had previously been reported stolen. Others I've spoken to however believe I have a case. Presuming most Liability policies are similar, I read a copy of my own which, to me the laymen, can be construed to indicate that any damage done with the CAR of the covered party is covered.

Before I dispose of my car I want to know if I have a strong case or not. I'm presuming here that the car was not stolen due to negligence by the owner.

Thanks for any wisdom you can impart.

Sincerely,

Martin Toggweiler

racer72

That is what collision coverage is for. The report of a vehicle being stolen generally removes liablility from the owner of the vehicle. You may wish to speak to an attorney but I think you are SOL.

tammy8

Racer is right about collision being needed but I do wonder if you have uninsured motorist coverage if maybe your policy will cover it? May be something to look into to but don't count on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">