• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stone throwing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rkrhymer

My 10 year old son was throwing stones, and accidentally hit the windshield of a passing vehicle. The damage was minor (a small nick and two small scratches). The owner of the vehicle wants me to pay $500 to replace the windshield.
When I asked her why she wasn't turning it in to her insurance company, she said she didn't want any black marks against her insurance, or for her rates to go up. She is sending me the copy of 1(one) estimate.
My questions are:
1. would this really go against her insurance and raise her premiums?
2. doesn't she have to provide me with at least 3(three) estimates? Or, am I entitled to get my own estimates?
3. do I have the right to request that the company that does the work for her send me the bill, instead of me handing the money over to the vehicle owner?

I am a single parent and do not have $500 to just hand over to this woman at her say so. She wants the whole amount and she wants it immediately.
I am not trying to evade my responsibities for what my child did, but I cannot afford to pay for this woman's extravagance.
Please, someone advise me of my legal rights.

R

rkrhymer

Thank you for replying, but you did not address any of my questions. I gather from your answer that you also think I am trying to get out of paying for the damage my son caused. I have every intention of taking responsibility for this, but I will not sit by and be taken advantage of.
If I have misunderstood your reply, I apologize, but I would like a more explicit answer.
I have never been in this situation before, and am merely trying to find some answers to what I believe are legitimate and reasonable questions. If someone had done this to my vehicle, I'm sure I would be required to give more than one estimate, and the person responsible wouldn't just lay down the first $ amount that I demand without questioning it.
If no one can give me any detailed advice here, just say so and I will turn elsewhere for answers.
And, for the record, even if I could afford to just hand over $500, I would still ask the same questions. It's not just a matter of money, it is also a matter of principle(sp?)
Thank You

A

ace-red

Why not contact her insurance company yourself? She should have given that information to you.

I know from personal experience, that when I was in an accident that was NOT my fault, it didn't go against me at all. This was an accident that was not her fault and she, I believe, just wants the cash. She probably will never have the winsheild fixed. (I wouldn't for the amount of damage you say was done.)

The other thing that you can do would be to call around the local glass repair shops and ask them the $$ for a replacement for this (year, make and model of car).
Just an idea.
Best of luck!

R

rkrhymer

Thank you ace-red for replying. I did try to get her insurance info but she refused to give it to me. I told her she would be covered under the comprehensive plan and it would not go against her, but she wouldn't listen. She wants the cash or else she is taking legal action against my son for malicious vandalism. The part that irks me, is that it wasn't malicious. He didn't purposely throw it at her vechicle. But, I guess that is beside the point.
Also, she told me(and so did the police officer)that it hit her windshield, but according to the estimate she sent me, the window she needs replaced is the right rear 1/4 panel.
I really think something isn't right here.

I did get other estimates and windshields for her vehicle are around $500.

A

ace-red

So I guess you can pick the lowest one, and see if you can get them to cut you a deal. (bat your eyes, and a couple tears help sometimes) Sorry, that's not right. But I am serious about the 'deal'. Maybe you can make payment arrangements. PAY THEM NOT HER! And YOU get the receipt!

Post your malicious vandalism thing on the criminal board. I don't know if she can do that after the fact. Since it is in retaliation. Doesn't hurt to ask.

R

rkrhymer

Thank You ace-red. This woman is relentless and won't take payments. I already asked.
I am going to talk to the police officer that took the report to see if I can make her have the work done first and then have them send me the bill. That way I'll know she is actually using the money for replacing the window and not just repairing it and then pocketing the rest. That way too, I will have a receipt.
I'm all for paying for my son's mistake, but not if it means putting extra money in her pocket. I am willing to pay for what has actually been repaired or replaced, but nothing more.

Wish me luck!
Thanks again. :eek:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">