• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

getccorg

What is the name of your state? Texas

Back in August, I was given a ticket for allegedly running a stop sign. Since then, I posted on the private property as the Sheriff did (I was counting cars that ran the stop sign) and was questioned by the local police. I also have affidavits from the two people who were in my car... they said I did not run it and the affidavits were notarized.

I then plead not guilty. After that I had a pre-trial, and we could not agree on negotiated terms. I have a trial by jury someday which has not been set. What is a speedy trial considered in Texas? The maximum ticket and court cost I will receive is $285. I have never had the court experience and from the little law school that I had, I found if you think logically, you have an arguement.

The Sheriff was posted to watch the stop sign. I indicated to him that perhaps it would be in the public interest for him to file a complaint to research why the sign is ran so often (as he claims that is why he watches it) as opposed to collecting money for the county.

In my pre-trial, the DA assistants tried to get me to plead guilty and they would get me a deferment or get me into courses that would get the ticket off of my insurance. I knew better and asked them to double check this with the court. I was right, this was not an option due to my out of state license at the time. I have since been toying with the idea of filing a comnplaint with the state bar due to the incompetence or entrapment of these two attorneys. What do you think? This is their first two years out of being a 3L.

So do I have grounds for a dismissal due to no due dilligence? Also, who is the authority in the State of Texas over Justice of the Peace?

Thanks

Shane

Last edited:

racer72

Sounds like your wasting a whole lot of time for something so trivial.

also have affidavits from the two people who were in my car... they said I did not run it and the affidavits were notarized.
Whoopy. The affidavits are worthless in court, the prosecution can't question a piece of paper.

What is a speedy trial considered in Texas?
There isn't one for traffic cases.

What do you think?
Read my first sentence.

T

Trucking Mad

What is accomplished

:rolleyes: You stated you received a ticket for running a stop sign, and you're an out of state driver. If this were a first ticket offense you probably could have defered adjudication, skipped all this mess you're going thru and moved on with little out of pocket money and no points. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">