• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

storing a car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smallfrie_96

What is the name of your state? wisconsin

I have been storing a family members car for 2 years now. I told them this is as long as i would hold onto it. I told them to make arrangements to sell it so i can get it out of my garage. They are unable to get to this car and wont be for a long time. I was told there was some sort of law that if you store someones property for so long and they fail to pick it up, that the property becomes yours. Is this true? If so, how long and what actions do i need to take to do this? I need this car out and they wont be able to do anything for a very, very long time. Any suggestions?

TYRIS

smallfrie_96 said:
What is the name of your state? wisconsin

I have been storing a family members car for 2 years now. I told them this is as long as i would hold onto it. I told them to make arrangements to sell it so i can get it out of my garage. They are unable to get to this car and wont be for a long time. I was told there was some sort of law that if you store someones property for so long and they fail to pick it up, that the property becomes yours. Is this true? If so, how long and what actions do i need to take to do this? I need this car out and they wont be able to do anything for a very, very long time. Any suggestions?

i can't advise you on wisconson law, however, in california, if you have a vehicle stored on your property and the owners refuse to pick it up, you can lean sell it. are you charging them rent for the storage of the vehicle?

the best people i know of that are familiar with these laws are the tow companies. i would contact the nearest tow company and find out what the procedure is in your state for lean selling a vehicle. then advise your family member that if they do not pick up their vehicle, you'll get rid of it.

TYRIS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">