• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stray Golf Ball

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anthjhoc

What is the name of your state? PA

Recently I shot a golf ball that went through the windsheild of a car parked in the driveway of a house along the courses edge. Do I have to pay for the damages to the car by law?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? PA

Recently I shot a golf ball that went through the windsheild of a car parked in the driveway of a house along the courses edge. Do I have to pay for the damages to the car by law?
Answer: Probably

anthjhoc

Enough Info

I broke the window owned up to but the women was out of control... That is why I question the law? If the women would have been respectful and not flew off the handle I would have paid for it without a fight.

moburkes

If someone had damaged MY windshield, I'd be pissed as well. The time, inconvenience, knowing that it was damaged through no fault of my own, etc.

You have no RIGHT to take your time in acknowleging responsibility simply because you didn't appreciate her reaction.

Seriously? Grow up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, per your own admission, it is your fault. The ONLY way it would be the golf course's fault is if they failed to take appropriate steps to contain your golf ball (ie: no netting around a driving range.)
As has been mentioned, pay for the damage you caused. Sometimes people in the world aren't "nice". It doesn't mean they aren't right...

anthjhoc

to moburkes

Grow up!!!! Buying a house on a golf course is your fault! That is like moving next to a stadium and conplaining about the noise. No need to be an ass!

moburkes

Grow up!!!! Buying a house on a golf course is your fault! That is like moving next to a stadium and conplaining about the noise. No need to be an ass!
Whatever, brother! I NEVER even ASSumed that anyone bought a house AFTER the golf course was built. The GROW UP had everything to do with your attitude. Just because someone is RUDE to you, doesn't require you to be an ass back - unless you had no home training.

anthjhoc

So sad!

I put the question out there to see what the law was but see now that you are just another ass in this world. You are correct, some people shouldn't have kids.

MikeKV

If someone had damaged MY windshield, I'd be pissed as well. The time, inconvenience, knowing that it was damaged through no fault of my own, etc.

You have no RIGHT to take your time in acknowleging responsibility simply because you didn't appreciate her reaction.

Seriously? Grow up.
In no way am I agreeing with the OP. He admits fault and should promptly pay up ALTHOUGH do you mind if I disagree with what you're saying? If my car was parked near a golf course and my window was broken I'd probably be a little upset but I wouldn't be pissed at the one who fessed up to hitting my window. It's something (a broken window) that just may happen near a golf course. I don't see any reason to be pissed at someone. Ever play softball and park your car in line to where a homerun or foul ball can land? I play and certainly don't park my car near the area because if I did I increase the chances of my car getting hit...and if it did happen I wouldn't be pissed at the one who hit my car. 99% of the time they weren't aiming at the car. So why be pissed? Now, I would be pissed if no one fesses up.

moburkes

I don't know where the lady's car was parked. It could have been in a weird place. I don't know the circumstances. All I know is - I might not have the money to repair that windshield, and I could be having a bad day. There is no excuse for her bad behavior. However, all she knows is that her vehicle was damaged through no fault of her own, and she reacted.

JustAPal00

It doesn't matter where the car was parked. The OP is responsible for the damage unless the course has a policy of covering such damage. The woman was an idiot for getting so upset. IF YOU LIVE NEXT TO A GOLF COURSE EXPECT YOUR HOUSE, CARS, GARDEN, AND ANYTHING ELSE OUTSIDE TO GET HIT WITH GOLF BALLS! If her house was there first, then she should be very thankful to the golf course for INCREASING HER PROPERTY VALUE. If she can’t handle the fact that things get damaged when they get hit by golf balls moving at a high rate of speed, then she should sell her house, capitalizing on the added value living next to a golf course has brought her, and move!

Beanie711

The OP must pay for the damages, but I can't help but share a story from when I bartended at a golf course....

It was a really really REALLY hot day and there was only one group of avid golfers that decided to golf that day. They were literally the only ones out there. Next thing we know, a woman comes in--her windshield was hit, she was on her way to Fargo (4 hour drive) and it was Sunday. She couldn't see out of her window, and no place was open to fix it. The golfers eventually came in, but they adamently denied they had anything to do with it. Now, from my experience, these people were the stingiest (sp?) people in the world. They would skin a flea if they thought it would get them a penny. So of course, since we didn't have video proof, and the driver couldn't see exactly what the people that hit her looked like (understandable since a golf ball was flying at her), the course ended up paying the damages. Let's just say I was very upset with my boss for folding and taking responsibility.

But anywho, the OP is responsible. Pony up and just pay it. The sooner you're done dealing with the woman, the better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">