• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stuck in Elevator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drgjr

I was stuck in a elevator at a Las Vegas Hotel for 90 minutes on Saturday. The hotel paid for my weekend visit but I had to stay on the 9th floor because they didn't have any rooms on the ground level. I hated it but I walked the stairs all weekend because of the ordeal. I travel alot and am scared to take elevators now ... which really sucks here at work. 4 flights of stairs 4 times a day are murder on the legs. Does anybody think I can sue the hotel for this distress I'm going through right now?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

drgjr said:
I was stuck in a elevator at a Las Vegas Hotel for 90 minutes on Saturday. The hotel paid for my weekend visit but I had to stay on the 9th floor because they didn't have any rooms on the ground level. I hated it but I walked the stairs all weekend because of the ordeal. I travel alot and am scared to take elevators now ... which really sucks here at work. 4 flights of stairs 4 times a day are murder on the legs. Does anybody think I can sue the hotel for this distress I'm going through right now?

My response:

No, because you accepted their settlement - - the paid weekend.

What's your specific phobia? Falling? Just being stuck? Enclosed spaces?

Do you even know how elevators work?

IAAL

D

drgjr

I wanted to pay for the weekend but they insisted. I left my credit card on file and told them I'd expect a receipt in the mail.

as far as riding in elevators, i had to take one at the airport yesterday and i thought i was having a panic attack. I got all sweaty and had a hard time breathing. I felt dizzy when I got off and haven't been back on one since.

I sent an email off to the hotel today but wanted to know if I can get them to reimburse me for the changes I'll need to make to my business trips. I will only stay on the first of second floors of hotels now and in some cases, it's going to cost me more money. I don't think i should have to pay for these expenses. I never had problems riding in elevators before this happened.

T

theother

Instead of changing your life due to this incident, have you considered getting some therapy? It is possible to get over phobias. You do not have to live with panic attacks. Your doctor can even prescribe anti-anxiety medication if it's that bad. Personally, I would just force myself into the work elevators for longer periods of time everyday until I got over it. That's how I got over my lifelong fear of heights. Let me tell you about a phobia. I would get queasy standing on a chair. I couldn't even watch heights on tv. That's how scared I was. Watching movies like Vertical Limit or Cliffhanger are traumatic experiences for me. But, I wanted to snowboard so badly that I forced myself to get on the chairlifts. My friends would hold my hands and I would keep my eyes closed until the last possible moment. Now, I can ride one with hardly a thought, unless it stops and even then I don't really panic. The point is that you shouldn't let irrational fears take over your life. And yes, I have been stuck in elevators before. Three times in fact. It happens. I don't really think that you should fault the hotel for it. I think they were very generous comping your room like that. Of course, that's just my opinion. Besides, this all happened really recently. I bet that your fear subsides fairly soon on its own as long as you don't give in to it. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

stephenk

if you are going on business trips, doesn't your employer pay for those trips? Do you expect the Las Vegas hotel to pay "extra" for your business trips for the rest of your working life?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">