• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

subject matter Jurisdiction and slip and fall accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wewenaing

if the plaintiff from one of the states wants to sue for the slip and fall accident to the hotel which is in other country (out of state), can the court from this state exercise jurisdiction over this hotel in other country?
what factors should the court consider in deciding this jurisdictional issue?
the hotel chain does not do the business in this state.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

wewenaing said:
if the plaintiff from one of the states wants to sue for the slip and fall accident to the hotel which is in other country (out of state), can the court from this state exercise jurisdiction over this hotel in other country?
what factors should the court consider in deciding this jurisdictional issue?
the hotel chain does not do the business in this state.

My response:

Read the U.S. Supreme Court case of - -

International Shoe Co. v. Washington (1945) 326 U.S. 310, 316, 66 S.Ct. 154

And, read all of it's progeny. Then, you might have a better understanding of "minimum contacts" and the "long arm statutes."

Good luck in your studies.

IAAL

W

wewenaing

will do..many thanks. if I still have questions, let me ask you more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

wewenaing said:
will do..many thanks. if I still have questions, let me ask you more.

My response:

Well, if you can read that case, and read ALL of the cases decided on the issue since "International", then I won't be seeing you again until the end of this century. You've got a lot of reading to do.

Good luck.

IAAL

W

wewenaing

I am still a beginner studying this subject. So I might have many quries which make me confused.
Will have to try my best. If you see me again, please be happy to provide your advice.
Really appreciate it. Would love to receive useful idea from people like you. Thanks once again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">