• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subrogation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyinblind

What is the name of your state? California

My 15 year old daughter was given permission to drive a vehicle. The insured owner (17yr old boy, truck in fathers business name/insurance) was in the vehicle along with another teenager. My daughter drove the vehicle on private and public roads, then on private property while trying to park, hit my neighbors vehicle, causing approximately $1700.00 in damage according to estimates. The owner of the vehicle did not want to put this through his insurance and wanted to split the costs. I refused as this is why you have insurance and did not have that kind of money available to me. My neighbor, tired of waiting put a claim into his insurance and was apparently paid. The owner of the vehicle also paid my neighbor approximately 1500.00 in cash. Now my neighbors insurance company is coming after me to recover the claims damages paid out. Am I at all responsible, as a parent of the minor for this?

S

shell007

flyinblind said:

My 15 year old daughter was given permission to drive a vehicle. The insured owner (17yr old boy, truck in fathers business name/insurance) was in the vehicle along with another teenager. My daughter drove the vehicle on private and public roads, then on private property while trying to park, hit my neighbors vehicle, causing approximately $1700.00 in damage according to estimates. The owner of the vehicle did not want to put this through his insurance and wanted to split the costs. I refused as this is why you have insurance and did not have that kind of money available to me. My neighbor, tired of waiting put a claim into his insurance and was apparently paid. The owner of the vehicle also paid my neighbor approximately 1500.00 in cash. Now my neighbors insurance company is coming after me to recover the claims damages paid out. Am I at all responsible, as a parent of the minor for this?

yes!!! Pay up!

moburkes

flyinblind said:

Yes, but the owner of the vehicle's insurance policy SHOULD pay the damage. However, that might put the business owner in a bad spot with his insurance company, since permissive use is different for a commercial policy than it is for a personal auto policy. Only the employees of the business and family members of the owner are generally covered. So, your daughter should be getting a job to help pay her mom back.

efflandt

Company owned vehicles may only be insured for employees. So the son may not even been covered, much less have the right to give permission to an unlicensed driver to drive it. So while the owner is technically liable, your daughter is responsible for the accident, so you should pay up.

ecmst12

If there was $1700 in damages, and the owner of the vehicle paid $1500, then how much did his insurance pay? It sounds like the person who your daughter hit got paid more then he should have. How much is the insurance company asking from you?

moburkes

ecmst12 said:
If there was $1700 in damages, and the owner of the vehicle paid $1500, then how much did his insurance pay? It sounds like the person who your daughter hit got paid more then he should have. How much is the insurance company asking from you?
OP's numbers above are all approximates. The neighbor DID get paid more than s/he should have. S/he received payment from both the insurance company and the business owner. The problem is that the business owner should have paid that money directly to the insurance company, since someone, somewhere along the line, was made aware that the neighbor filed the claim with their insurance company. The neighbor, technically needs to pay back him insurance company, since you can't get paid 2x for the same accident. Does the business owner have proof that he paid the enighbor directly? That proof can be sent to the insurance company who will then be upset that their customer collected 2x for the same accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">