• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subrogation law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zerogirl

This is in Maryland. I'll try to be brief.

I was in an auto accident in October 2002. The car in front of me stopped suddenly when trying to enter the highway, and I clipped the back of his car trying to avoid him. The police came, and noone was cited.
I was contacted by his insurance company requesting all of my information and payment for an unspecified amount in 2003, then nothing again until 2004. I wrote to them requesting a copy of the damage report and claim amount. They sent me this in March 2004 with request for total amount $736.00. Because I admit I was following too close to the other driver and I had no interest in going to court over a relatively minor amount, I paid them each month, and they sent me a letter each month stating my updated balance. When I called them in November 2004 to make my final payment (which should have been $100), the rep who answered stated he just that month took over my case (I had dealt with another individual the previous 8 months), he put me on hold for a while, then came back to the phone and told me I owed "a lot more than that." He stated I owed $30,000 for medical expenses. I flipped out and asked why I had not been previously notified. He said they didn't know about it when they sent my total balnce due back in March. I asked for some proof of this amount due.
A few days later I received a "check stub" in the mail for $30K paid to the other driver dated April 2004, and no other documentation.
When I asked them why noone had notified me between April and November that I owed this, he stated that he didn't know. Seeing as how I was in contact with them every single month during that period, I find that a little odd.
I asked for further documentation proving why I owed this much; I never received anything except a form trying to get me to sign over all rights and promise to repay the entire amount. I refused to sign this.
I now have reason to believe they have filed suit for $25,000 (I received a letter from a defense lawyer a few months ago trying to get my business), but have not received any summons or notification.
Do I have any chance of avoiding total payout? I have no problem paying what I owe, but I find this whole dealing totally shady.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">